And one time....

Saturday, March 07, 2009

Friday, January 27, 2006

I've always struggled with faith, especially organized religions. Maybe it comes from being raised Catholic and being forced to go to church, or maybe it comes from trying to understand all the contradictions woven into religion. As of late I've started wondering about the afterlife and why we feel the need to believe there is such a thing. Is it because we want to hang our hats on the notion that if we do good then we'll be rewarded with eternal happiness, and those that do bad will burn forever in the pits of Hell? It's comforting, yes, but I don't think that's where it's at. I think it's deeper, and somewhat hidden. Maybe not so much hidden as just not something we think about.

It's known that I lost my father last month. It's a loss deeper than any I've ever felt. This has lead me to my current line of reasoning about why we have the desire for faith, religion, and a belief in an afterlife. I think it's not so much about securing our place in Heaven, or where ever you want to believe you'll go, but more about not having to say goodbye forever to those you've lost. Follow me down this road, if you will. Forever...what is that? It's hard to imagine, really. There is no end to it. When something is lost forever that means you'll NEVER see it again. When someone dies, then techincally we'll never see them again. Is it that this is so painful that our fragile little infantile minds cannot grasp it? Who wants to go on knowing they will NEVER see that loved one again? Enter religion, faith, and the afterlife. Now, if I'm good, and I say my prayers and do what the bible, or what ever holy book I choose to believe, is correct, then I'll get to see my dad again. My dad, and everyone else that goes before me. How wonderful! What a gift! But we don't know, do we? This could so easily go into a tirade about controlling people's behaviors using religion and the promise of seeing those we miss again, but that's not my point. My point is do we need to believe in religion and the afterlife as a way of coping with loss? Does it make it a less bitter pill to swallow? I'm sure it does, for those who truely believe. I'm still wandering around, searching.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home