And one time....

Monday, March 09, 2009

Escalator horror

I was at the mall today with my daughter. We were walking along when some motion (and gasps) caught my attention. I turned and looked at one of the escalators just in time to see the 2nd of 2 two elderly women tumbling down head first. She was already mostly down when I looked, her feet up in the air and her head hitting the moving steps. The other woman was already down, riding the escalator to the bottom. She wasn't moving, just laying there. As she was reaching the bottom a mall security person was rushing towards her. This person hit the emergency stop button while another security person was coming down another escalator. There are 4 levels to this mall and the women were at the bottom while the other guard was coming down from the 3rd floor.

Anyway, the woman that was closest to the bottom has silver hair and wasn't wearing any shoes, I'm assuming they fell off on the trip down. Not sure. But she just laid there, not moving, shoeless and bleeding from her head. I have no idea why she fell. It could be that she passed out and fell over and the other woman tried to catch her, causing her to fall as well. I don't know. But the whole scene, the woman tumbling over, feet in the air, and the other one just riding the escalator down head first and unmoving was just scary and sad.

After about 10 minuted of medical attention and chasing bystanders away the younger woman was up and moving around, but the silver haired one was still not moving. I was afraid she might be dead. It wouldn't be the first time I've seen a dead body, but that doesn't make it any easier. Finally I saw her eyes open and flutter. She still wasn't moving, except for her eyes.

My daughter and I left that section of the mall. I didn't want to be a gawker, and I hadn't been. The mall, like I said, is 4 levels high, and they all circle the big open area where the escalators are. There's a skybridge and an underground tunnel that connects to a second part of the mall that's the same structure.

It was sort of surreal to see. And I'm not a fan of blood at all. We left, I felt bad as we walked away. I didn't push them, nor was I capable of assisting, so I don't know why I felt bad leaving. But I did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home