And one time....

Saturday, March 07, 2009

May 19, 2008 Do what you have to do

I was out running errands with my daughters and listening to the music from Brianna's IPod. One of Sarah McLachlan's songs came on. It's been a few years since I've heard it. I own the CD Brianna pulled the music from, but rarely listen to it anymore. The song was "Do what you have to do". It's an awesome song, one of her better ones in my opinion. But I forgot most of the lyrics. So, just about immediately upon returning home I had to look the lyrics up online. Ah, yes....then I remembered why that song is one of my favorites. It took me back several years ago. About 7 or so I think. And maybe a time or two since then.

This got me thinking about how I use songs to help me deal with what ever problems are currently vexing my heart. Lyrics sometimes speak so loudly to me. Right now, for instance, the ringtone on my phone is "Better off alone" by Alice Deejay, and it's pretty much my theme song. Do you know the lyrics? They are pretty easy: "Do you think you're better off alone?" - that repeats 4 times. Then "Talk to me....ohhh talk to me" repeats twice. The first line again, six times, then the other line two and a half times. Pretty simple. But, simple is best sometimes.

I feel silly for thinking a song on the radio is going to have magical powers or some supernatural being caused that song to be played at that moment just for me. I know that's not the case, however it tends to make me feel a little better to hold on to that fantasy for a little while.

Here's Sarah' song - in case you're interested:

What ravages of spirit
Conjured this temptuous rage
Created you a monster
Broken by the rules of love
And fate has led you through it
You do what you have to do
And fate has led you through it
You do what you have to do ...
And I have the sense to recognize that
I don't know how to let you go
Every moment marked
With apparitions of your soul
I'm ever swiftly moving
Trying to escape this desire
The yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do
The yearning to be near you
I do what I have to do
But I have the sense to recognize
That I don't know how
To let you go
I don't know how
To let you go
A glowing ember
Burning hot
Burning slow
Deep within I'm shaken by the violence
Of existing for only you
I know I can't be with you
I do what I have to do
I know I can't be with you
I do what I have to do
And I have sense to recognize but
I don't know how to let you go
I don't know how to let you go
I don't know how to let you go

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home