And one time....

Saturday, March 07, 2009

November 08, 2007 The arrogance of the "Saved"...and other ramblings.

I was listening to a Christian music radio station yesterday (yes I listen to it from time to time when I'm bored and need something new) and a song came on that really annoyed me. This guy was singing about how he's living for the next life because this one is nothing compared to what's to come. He sang of streets of gold and meeting Jesus. And I thought "WOW - did judgment day come and go and I missed it?" As far as I know we've not been given our boarding passes to the afterlife yet so how does he know where he's going? Did God personally send him a free pass to Heaven?

I know there's stuff in the bible about what you need to do to be saved. There is a scripture that reads "Many are invited, but few are chosen" Matt 22:14. It can be translated many ways; my study bible says it means that God calls all men and men are held responsible for accepting or rejecting him. You can reject him by indifference, rebellion, or self-righteousness. Self-righteousness you say? Isn't proclaiming to the world that you already know that you're getting into Heaven a bit self-righteous? So I think that guy singing on the radio being a bit arrogant to assume that God has already passed judgment on him and he's going to Heaven.
Not that I'm a theologian by any means, but I did have a Catholic upbringing, and I have read the bible (once all the way through I think). It's been a long time so I don't remember much. I know that vanity is a sin, so I think claiming that you're good enough to get into Heaven is a bit vain, therefore sinful, therefore how does that make you good enough to get into Heaven? Oh, but Jesus died for our sins so we could be forgiven. But isn't it the point to do our best to not sin and live good and pure lives to honor God and try to prove that we are trying to be worthy of His love and all that? Now I'm no pillar of morality nor do I claim to live a "good Christian" lifestyle, but I know enough not to go around claiming "I'm getting into Heaven - neener neener neener."

On a slightly different note:

I've been thinking a lot about the afterlife since my dad died. And I've been watching Ghost Hunters and other various supernatural shows. It seems pretty obvious that there is something going on after we die. No one knows why spirits hang around and don't go on to where ever it is they should be. Obviously not all people hang around or just think of how many ghosts there would be. And sometimes paranormal activity is identified as "not human" or even "evil". I wonder why evil spirits haunt us, possibly even try to possess us, but never any angels. I've never heard of an angelic haunting or possession. Why is that?

I have so many questions when it comes to Christianity and the afterlife. Questions about why I should believe in God when I see contradictions in the bible like this: jealously is a sin, God is a jealous god (Deuteronomy 6:14), and God is perfect. I'll explain why I'm confused and feel this is a contradiction:
*jealously is a sin - that's pretty straightforward.
*God is a jealous god means that he doesn't want us putting another god ahead of him (ie: the golden calf or any other idols).
*God is perfect - anyone who has any sort of Christian background has been taught this.
So the contradiction is if God is perfect and jealously is a sin and He is a jealous god then how can He be perfect?
I'm confused.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home